The rules: We play Golf Channel free fantasy golf – https://www.playfantasygolf.com/lobby – we’ll get an ad from them someday.
You have 6 players and get a $100,000 budget. Here’s my team for the week of the BMW Championship, the second leg of the Fed Ex Cup Playoffs.
- Justin Rose – $33,200 – He’s coming off of a 2nd place finish last week so he’s coming into this tournament on quite the hot streak. It has felt like a big year for him but he’s only come away with 1 win, and a few flashes in majors. However, he got up to his highest OWGR ranking a few weeks ago by getting into second. He has since dropped to 4th. Regardless, he’s an amazing player that’s coming into form and ready to show what he can do this week. Instead of a second place finish, I expect him to come away holding the trophy on the reliance of his strong tee-to-green, long-iron and now putting game.
- Rory McIlroy – $32,900 – I picked him last week and he rewarded me with a T-12. You would’ve like to see him come down the stretch a little harder and push DeChambeau a little, but no one else did it either. Last week, I relied on the break that he had taken, and the talks about his conversations with his swing coach. This week I’m going to rely on him shaking off the rust. Last week was a shake off the rust week, now this one is where he really appears. It wasn’t too long ago he won the FedEx Cup. (2016)
- Adam Scott – $11,000 – This guy has had quite the resurgence recently, starting with the PGA Championship. Which just shows how golf goes sometimes, this was a guy who had to go into qualifiers since he had no US Open eligibility. Things have changed quickly. In my opinion, he has the best looking swing on tour, and if he could just make some putts he’d compete every week (see McIlroy, Rory). I think he’s determined to make it to East Lake and I look forward to him having a big week.
- Cameron Smith – $10,900 – How about back-to-back 3rd places as a reason to pick him? That’ll play. I see him picking up momentum each week and expect another high finish here. He’s so close to East Lake, just one last great set of 72 holes and he’s there. He’s on the team this week as he pushes for a bid to get there.
- Emiliano Grillo – $5,600 – He’s peaking well at the right time. We all forget that he’s still a very young player because it feels like he’s been around for a long time. I like him to keep his momentum going coming off a top-10 (his 6th of the year) in Boston.
- Beau Hossler – $5,000 – This guy has been a tale of 2 different stories. He starts hot Thursday/Friday and then goes cold Saturday/Sunday. Which gives him quite the high floor. For $5,000 I will take his high floor. He’s also not projected to make it to the FedEx Cup Championship, so look for him to push hard this week. We get paid out on birdies, and he’ll be going for them.