The rules: We play Golf Channel free fantasy golf – https://www.playfantasygolf.com/lobby – we’ll get an ad from them someday.
You have 6 players and get a $100,000 budget. Here’s my team for the week of the Quicken Loans National hosted by the Tiger Woods.
- David Lingmerth, $13,200 – Haven’t picked him yet this year, and never planned on it. Then, this tournament came along where only 8 of the top 50 are playing. This guy happens to have some previous success with a win here as an amateur. I’ve read a little about him this week and heard multiple sources say he’s a nice value pick so we’ll roll the dice in hoping he can recreate that magic from a few years back.
- Patrick Rodgers, $19,400 – This guy always sticks out to me as the guy who beat Tiger’s wins record in college. Not much else has shown up for him in the pros, but it looks like he’s playing well right now. 3 straight made cuts has me willing to roll the dice on this guy as I’m thinking he can keep it going. He’ll always be a “this guy was good in college player” but hopefully he can strike up some magic this week.
- C.T. Pan, $14,300 – Had a run of T18-T20-T32 prior to missing the cut at the Travelers. I’ve seen this guy heat up quite a bit and expect nothing less from him this week. In a field that scares me cause I have no idea who to pick, I hope C.T. Pan catches fire again and makes the cut!
- Jimmy Walker, $29,700 – This guy… He’s at the top of his game and wins the PGA championship. Then gets Lyme disease and has a terrible 2017. However, this year is looking better, and being on a mission to keep his tour card, this guy seems to play well in random tournaments like this week. He’s also made 10 straight cuts including a 2 at the players and a T4 at the Valero Texas Open. I’m rolling the dice with a guy who’s looking healthy again.
- Joaquin Niemann, $12,700 – The youngest player on tour (I think). At 19, this guy has shown he can play in a big way. With top 10s at the Memorial and the Valero Texas Open, I’m feeling good about his performance here this week. 3 Top 10s in 6 starts with 3 missed cuts. In a hit or miss week, let’s hope my man Joaquin hits.
- Seamus Power, $10,700 – I actually picked him in the first article I ever wrote for this website, so wow how things come full circle. He performed well for me that week and I’m feeling like he can do it again. I could go back to his name being awesome, Seamus, let’s play some golf man. However, I’m going to rely on the fact that he had a top 40 here last year (and the name thing, a little bit). He also is coming off a top-10 at the St. Jude Classic. I love where his games at right now and hope he can perform in a lesser (than usual of a field).
Disclaimer: a lesser field just means that like Rory, DJ, Spieth, etc. aren’t here. No disrespect to anyone out there today. These guys are amazing and I look forward to watching them each week.